Today was the second day of on-ice work at Blue Jackets training camp and the first day that included scrimmages.
- Johnny Gaudreau and Patrik Laine looked fantastic together on the ice during the scrimmages.
- Zach Werenski was paired with David Jiricek for the scrimmages. Wonder if that will continue throughout the preseason.
Multiple odd-man rushes for the Gaudreau-Rask-Laine line. Laine had a sequence where he dangled through the defense but was unable to get a shot away. #CBJ— Coby Maeir (@CobyMaeir) September 23, 2022
News & Notes
- Cole Sillinger is day-to-day with an upper-body injury. Brad Larsen said "he tweaked something" and that he'll be back "hopefully sooner rather than later."
- Boone Jenner (back) did not participate in scrimmages today, although he took part in the drills. Larsen said he's “feeling great so we just want to be smart here with him.”
- Like Jenner, Liam Foudy went through drills but not scrimmages today. Larsen said he's "on a different protocol” coming off surgery.
- Joonas Korpisalo (hip) skated today but did not play in the scrimmages. Larsen says he’s “doing well” & he and Korpisalo both want him to play, but they’re listening to the doctor’s orders.
- Larsen said he wants "to see competitiveness" in this camp and adds that he "can tell [the players] put the work in."
- Embedded below are the lines for today's scrimmages:
#CBJ Team 1 scrimmage lines:— Coby Maeir (@CobyMaeir) September 23, 2022
#CBJ Team 3 scrimmage lines:— Coby Maeir (@CobyMaeir) September 23, 2022
One-on-One with 2022 No. 12 pick Denton Mateychuk
Here's my conversation with one of the two most recent Jackets first-round picks.
You were paired up with free-agent-signee Erik Gudbranson today on defense. What did you see from him on the ice that can translate to wins?
Mateychuk: "I think he's a really good leader. He's always talking out there. He's just letting you know what to do and if he sees something. He's a big body. [He] keeps guys to the outside [and] doesn't let them get inside and I think he's gonna bring a lot of defensive plays but I think he's going to be a good offensive player as well."
Gudbranson was a high draft pick (No. 3 in 2010). Has he given you or David Jiricek advice on what it's like being a highly-drafted defenseman coming into the NHL?
Mateychuk: "Not really, yet. I'm sure we'll have some conversations about it. On the ice, we'll talk about our gaps and stuff like that, but we'll have to have a conversation about that."
Andrew Peeke said you're a really good skater and a good puck mover. Are those the two things you pride your game on?
Mateychuk: "Yeah. I really like getting up the ice and joining the rush and using my feet to beat guys one-on-one or to join the play. I think I try and do that all over the ice."
Has the coaching staff or management talked to you about what they expect from you coming into training camp?
Mateychuk: "Not really. I just texted with Brad Larsen a little bit and just talked about competing and going out there and giving it your all. That's what I'm trying to do here this weekend, show everything that I can."
Are you confident your skillset as an offensive-minded defenseman will translate to the NHL?
Mateychuk: "Yeah, I think I'm very confident in that. I know there's some little things that I need to change for that next level. But, I think overall, I'm really happy with where my game's at."
Is there an element of 'wow, I'm in an NHL training camp' going up against NHL players as an 18-year-old?
Mateychuk: "Yeah, definitely, I think, especially [since Laine played in] Winnipeg, so [the Winnipeg] Jets are crazy about him when he was there. So, it's a pretty cool moment to go out there with those guys and play against them and hopefully eventually play with them. So it's an awesome experience."
"I've been drafted and now it's time to make the next step and play in the NHL. My next goal is to be a Columbus Blue Jacket." - Denton Mateychuk@mhl | #CBJ pic.twitter.com/tJ8bLVQbYL— Columbus Blue Jackets (@BlueJacketsNHL) July 11, 2022
The Blue Jackets will be on the ice on Saturday before playing a split-squad doubleheader against the Pittsburgh Penguins on Sunday to open their preseason. The game in Pittsburgh will be at 1 p.m ET and the game in Columbus will be at 7 p.m. ET.