The Jackets continued their winning ways in the preseason.
A dominant first period propelled the Jackets to a 4-1 win over Buffalo. With the win, Columbus improves to 2-0-1 in the preseason.
The Jackets had three grade-A chances in the first five minutes of regulation. Two came from Kent Johnson, one from each wing, and the other was a breakaway opportunity for Carson Meyer.
Columbus would strike first less than four minutes later, as Emil Bemstrom completed a tic-tac-toe sequence for his first goal of the preseason. Stanislav Svozil and Andrew Peeke picked up the primary and secondary assists, respectively.
The Jackets doubled their lead on the power-play with 6:31 to play, as Kirill Marchenko sniped a wrister from the left circle into the top right corner of the Sabres net. Mikael Pyyhtia and Joona Luoto notched their first assists of the preseason.
That 2-0 lead would stand at the end of the first period. The Jackets outshot the Sabres 13-2, scored on their only power-play, and killed off both penalties they took.
The Sabres got on the board when Chase Priskie finished off a nice feed from Jack Quinn with 16:11 to play in the period.
With 8:36 remaining in the period, Jet Greaves replaced Daniil Tarasov, who stopped 9/10 shots, in the Columbus net.
The Jackets outshot the Sabres 8-6 in the period and took a 2-1 advantage into the third period.
With 12:02 remaining in regulation, Jakub Voracek scored his second goal in as many games on a breakaway after receiving a nice feed from Trey Fix-Wolansky. Jack Roslovic picked up the secondary assist.
Columbus nearly added to its lead after Kent Johnson spun away from a defender at the right circle and sent a cross-ice saucer pass to Vladislav Gavrikov, who was denied only by the goalpost.
With 3:24 remaining, Carson Meyer scored a shorthanded goal, his first of the preseason, after receiving a nice pass from Justin Richards. Richards and Gavrikov picked up the assists on the goal.
That was the final goal of the night as the Jackets were victorious by a score of 4-1.
- SOG: 31-23 CBJ
- Power-play: CBJ: 1/1, BUF: 0/4
- Giveaways: 6-3 CBJ
- Face-off%: 50% for each team
Next up for the Blue Jackets is a meeting with the St. Louis Blues, Thursday at 8 p.m. ET.
- Peeke played with Denton Mateychuk and David Jiricek on separate penalty-killing opportunities
- Svozil looks great, made a few great passes throughout the game.
- Johnson was incredible. He was everywhere, both offensively and defensively.
- Erik Gudbranson was much better tonight. He had zero giveaways.
- Brad Larsen on Meyer: "He was one of the best players on the ice tonight."
- Larsen on Johnson: "I thought it was one of his best games I've seen tonight...he made a lot of plays out of nothing."