Behind two goals from Yegor Chinakhov and Adam Fantilli's third goal in two games, the Blue Jackets beat the St. Louis Blues 5-2 at Nationwide Arena on Friday.
Kirill Marchenko opened the scoring at 1:42 when he finished off a rush started by Chinakhov, who danced around Scott Perunovich and dished to Dmitri Voronkov, who found Marchenko at the right doorstep for the goal.
Robert Thomas tied the game on a breakaway at 14:36 after he raced past Ivan Provorov.
After he received a sweet feed from Kent Johnson, Fantilli ripped a left-slot wrist shot past Joel Hofer at 17:01.
The Blue Jackets took a 2-1 lead into the second period while trailing 12-8 in shots on goal.
The best chances of the second period came on the Blues' power play from 14:37 to 16:37, highlighted by Jake Neighbours' chance from in-tight at 15:13 that Jet Greaves denied.
Columbus led 2-1 after two frames while trailing 19-16 in shots on goal.
The Jackets doubled their lead at 6:26 after Voronkov forced a Jordan Kyrou turnover leading to a Blue Jackets rush where he found Marchenko in the right slot, who slid it over to Chinakhov, who scored from the left doorstep.
Marchenko's bid for his second goal of the game came on the power play where he drove to the net but was denied by Hofer at 11:40.
Chinakhov scored his second of the game on the same power play, firing a rocket of a slap shot from the high slot past Hofer at 12:21.
Thomas scored his second of the game with the Blues' goalie pulled at 17:41 from the left doorstep following a net-mouth scramble.
Alexandre Texier sealed the game at 19:56 when he beat a Blues defender to the puck and scored on the empty net.
With the win, the Blue Jackets improved to 9-15-5.
- Shots on Goal: STL 43-22 CBJ
- Face-off %: STL 39.3-60.7 CBJ
- Power play: STL 0/3-1/2 CBJ
- Giveaways: STL 3-4 CBJ
- Takeaways: STL 3-6 CBJ
- Blocked shots: STL 8-17 CBJ
- Hits: STL 8-14 CBJ
5-on-5 stats (via naturalstattrick.com):
- Expected Goals (xG): STL 1.80-1.44 CBJ
- Shot Attempts (CF): STL 41-33 CBJ
- Shots on Goal (SF): STL 27-17 CBJ
- Scoring Chances (SCF): STL 17-16 CBJ
- High-Danger Chances (HDCF): STL 9-8 CBJ
- Patrik Laine and Erik Gudbranson missed their second straight game with illnesses.
- Elvis Merzlikins was placed on IR retroactive to Dec. 5 with an illness.
- Adam Boqvist was placed on IR retroactive to Dec. 5 and will miss approximately four weeks with a shoulder strain.
- Damon Severson was placed on IR retroactive to Nov. 19 and will miss approximately six weeks with an oblique injury.
- Jack Roslovic has been on IR since Nov. 13 with a fractured ankle that will sideline him for four to six weeks.
- Cole Sillinger was placed on IR retroactive to Nov. 26 and is day-to-day with an upper-body injury.
- Boone Jenner left the game after being struck with a puck in the second period and did not return.
The Blue Jackets are back at it on Sunday when they host the Florida Panthers at 1 p.m. ET on Bally Sports Ohio.
The club heads to Toronto to take on the Maple Leafs on Thursday at 7 p.m. ET on Bally Sports Ohio.