Blue Jackets Forum

Blue Jackets Forum

Columbus Blue Jackets talk.

Off-season moves, expansion draft and trades...

+4 +/-
Doggy's picture
June 14, 2017 at 3:50pm
40 Comments

I was trying to wrap my head around everything that is being said about this off-season and I came to one conclusion.  I think GMJK is working it...and hard...and going after  big fish!  Hear me out...

1. rumors swirling VGK is going to take Clarkson's contract off our hands...along with our first round pick in lieu of not taking someone specific off the roster (my guess is Andy or Kid-Billy).
  2. Hartsy not asked to waive his NMC and suggested he is not part of our future...so...cut?
  3. CBJ would have no first or second rounder this year, need to improve roster through trade or UFA

So if VGK takes Clarkson and assumes all of his contract and the CBJ cut Hartsy (McConnell eats another $6 Million...wow), they are look at a savings on the cap of around $8 Million.

With the Cap expected to be $73 Million and the CBJ payroll dropping from $68 Million down to $60 Million, the team would have about $13 Million to play with.

Now, Andy & Wenny need new deals now.  Figure Andy is looking at a two year deal with a $1.5 AAV (think I am being a little generous) while Wenny gets a four year deal at a $3 AAV.  So $4.5 of the $13 is gone bringing us down to $8.5 in cap space.

Guys that need deals next year (and who we can extend right now) are Cam, Boone, Kid-Billy, Murray, OB and Nuti.

I think GMJK is getting ready to make a splash (either Duchene or Kovy).  GMJK knows our SC window is opening right now and he can't wait for PLD or VA to develop.  I am excited to see where this goes!

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of 1st Ohio Battery unless otherwise noted.

View 40 Comments