Blue Jackets Forum

Blue Jackets Forum

Columbus Blue Jackets talk.

Free Agent Signing Day & The Jackets' Future

0 +/-
OWSH45's picture
July 1, 2019 at 7:59am
9 Comments

At noon today, UFA'S can sign with new teams. In my mind, this is the most important off season in Jackets history. In the entertainment business - and professional sports are part of the entertainment business - the only rule is, what have you done for me lately?
While hardcore hockey/CBJ fans will stick by the team, hockey is the only one of the four major sports dependent upon the box office to stay profitable. With the Jackets' stunning crushing of the Lightning in the first round, the bar has been raised on expectations from less dedicated Central Ohio hockey fans. Anything less than a victory in the first round of the playoffs and, at the very least, pushing the second round to seven games will be seen as a failure by those fans.
Right now, those more casual fans have to be wondering why the Jackets have been quiet since the end of the season.
However talented and skilled youngsters like Texier, Bemstrom, Merzlikens, et al may be, in my opinion, Jarmo must make, at least, one significant move (UFA signing, trade, whatever) to keep the interest of more casual fans. Because missing the playoffs after the success of last season will mean far too many empty seats at NWA.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of 1st Ohio Battery unless otherwise noted.

View 9 Comments