Blue Jackets Forum

Columbus Blue Jackets talk.

Good Hockey Read: “Breakaway”

0 +/-
Doggy's picture
May 18, 2020 at 9:15am
0 Comments

Hey fellow CBJ fans,

During this time of staying at home I have been browsing my public library's online collection. I was looking for something different to read and decided to search on the term "hockey". Apparently there is a whole series of romance novels with "hockey" as a search term...who knew  [:dunno:]

Anyway, I came across a book called "Breakaway". I am only about half way through it but thought it was an interesting read for NHL hockey fans. It tells the stories of hockey players behind the Iron Curtain in the 60s, 70s and 80s and the risks they took to defect to the West and how their defections took place (from being scouted, drafted, contacted, negotiated with and eventually snuck West. Then it also talks about the difficulties they faced adjusting to North American life.

The first half of the book has been all Czech players but I assume some other country's players will fill in at some point.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of 1st Ohio Battery unless otherwise noted.